Consecration of The Holy Family Chapel at Rundāle Palace

Initially the design of Francesco Rastrelli featured a church in place of the White Hall at Rundāle Palace. Until 1740 its construction was almost complete, a wood carved altar had already been made to order and the Duke’s box assembled. However, upon his return from exile, the Duke Ernst Johann changed the design and transformed this space into a dance hall.

To honour the original plans, on 9 June – Whitsun – an ecumenical consecration of The Holy Family Chapel at Rundāle Palace was carried out in the church art exposition at the Stables building. The Chapel’s construction was determined by the shortage of suitable venues for church services and sacrament rites in Pilsrundāle. The consecrated chapel will host celebration services, weddings and christenings.

The consecration was attended by the Bishop of ELCL (Evangelical Lutheran Church of Latvia) Diocese of Liepāja Hanss Martins Jensons, Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Jelgava Edvards Pavlovskis, Senior Minister of Bauska Baptist Congregation Raimonds Locs, Dean of ELCL Bauska Precinct Rolands Radziņš and pastors and vicars from the neighbouring congregations.

Information about the church art exhibition is available on the Museum’s website: http://rundale.net/en/museum/church-art-exhibition/